In two weeks I will be an official college graduate. I will be scholarly, sophisticated, and very
single. Gone will be the days of college
boys. I will soon venture into the world
known as SINGLE ADULTS. Scarrrrrry. I’m not sure how to react to this new stage
in life. I’m not sure what to
expect. Will dating bring new and
exciting adventures, or will it be dull and depressing with no hope for a
future? I really can’t say until I’ve at
least tried it for a year. So, in a
year, I’ll get back to you and tell you how it all went. Then I can give an educated answer. I’m hoping for the more positive outcome, of
course.
I have noticed, though, the older I get in the dating world the
more…uh…varieties of men I meet.
Single. Normal. Not so normal. Divorced. Widowed.
“When a man is a widower why do we say he was widowed? Why don’t we say he was widowered?” NAME THAT
MOVIE!
All varieties are now
clambering into my dating range. I think
it’s safe to say that at 25, I can date a man up to the age of 33. Anything beyond that would be too much for me
to handle. Anything beyond that….there
might be some serious reasons why the guy is still singl
e.
I discovered the inconveniences of dating much older men
while still in my late teens. Not only
was there an age difference, there were differences in humor, behavior, and
culture. When I was 18, a 28 year old
man grew up with very different cartoons than I did. Tragic.
We had nothing to talk about with a culture gap that spanned 10
years. Besides finding drastic
differences according to an age gap, I also found that single men outside of
college are…interesting.
I first discovered single adults when I returned from my
first year at college. I was 19. I was invited to a young single adult activity
for all adults 18-30 in the surrounding areas of Honolulu, Hawaii. At the time, my family was living there and I
had little experience with dating in the tropic paradise. You would think immediately that paradise
would have sexy, tanned, sensitive men to offer…but the men there are just like
any other old Joe’s. Disappointing, I
know. In my naïve 19 year old mind, I
hoped for an island fling for the summer break.
But alas, I quickly discovered I wasn’t going to have such an
experience.
When I arrived to the activity, I discovered no dreamboats
or suave men. I found only John and Bob
and Harry. Respectable boys, I’m sure,
but certainly not what I was looking for.
I was young, and they were old..er.
The activity included a get to know you activity and a Japanese style
dinner complete with cushions.
Wooo! I found a really squishy
cushion and sat myself down, chopsticks in hand. I became distracted talking to the girl to my
right and didn’t notice the pot-faced Hawaiian boy who sat down to my
left. When I turned to look to my left
there he was with a pasted smile on his face and squinty eyes. I was disturbed by his fixed stare and wanted
to move, but didn’t want to be rude. I
again turned to my friend on the right and tried as I might to ignore the boy
to my left. I discovered from those
talking around me that the boy to my left was…odd…and old. I certainly didn’t want to give him any
chances at asking me out (since that’s what you do at young single adult activities. They are intended to match you up!). Finally, food was placed at the table. I grabbed a tortilla looking thing (but
obviously it wasn’t, since, you know, I was eating Japanese food) and began
dipping it in the sesame sauce soup stuff right next to my plate. Right then, old-hawaiian-weird-boy dipped his
bread into the bowl, too. Great. I had to share my sesame sauce with him. I dipped mine. He dipped his. I dipped mine….you get the picture. I watched him out of the corner of my eye to
make sure that we didn’t ever go for a dip at the same time. Still, he kept on dipping, and so did I. I found it odd that we were the only two
sharing a bowl. Everyone else seemed to
have their own. Then it dawned on
me. I looked behind me to find a line of
people in the kitchen with a bowl in hand ladling out the sesame soup from a
steaming hot pot. I wasn’t sharing the
soup with the boy, I was eating out of HIS bowl! I was mortified when I realized that I was supposed
to go get my own bowl. While I was
talking to my friend, he had gotten up to get his soup when I didn’t
notice. His soup was so close to my
plate, I figured it was for me. But
no. It wasn’t. When I realized what I had done, I threw a
shocked and embarrassed look to the boy who continued staring at me with a
frozen smile. CREEPY! He knew all along that I was eating out of
his bowl, and yet he didn’t say a word because HE LIKED IT! I was so embarrassed and completely horrified
that I was eating out of a stranger’s bowl.
I felt my face flush red and I quickly got up to move as far away as
possible. I could feel his black eyes on
the back of my neck and did all that I could the rest of the evening to avoid
him.
I suppose eating out of someone else’s bowl isn’t all that
bad. Worse things have happened to
me. But the fact that he knew and that he
watched me eat out of his bowl still gives me creepy vibes up my back. I certainly hope that in the last 7 years,
older guys have become more desirable in their behavior and appearance. Like I said…I’ll be able to tell you my
evaluation in a year.
Oh. And to end the night off, the dog ate my shoes. Yep. ATE MY SHOES.
Well, I think you will find a surprise to the "varieties" of people you come accross. Probably the biggest eye opener you will have is asking yourself the question, "What is wrong with me?" If you come to the conclussion that you are just fine and a victim of circumstance rather than personal character, it's only logical that there are men out there in the same category. If the conclussion is found that everyone in the single adult world is wierd, then by default, so are you. That in itself may not be the worst thing of enlightenment, as humility is most likely the important change needed within the single adult group. And all this coming from the strange guy you don't even know. It will probably feel like that 90% of the time. :) By this time who really knows anybody anyway. We are always with, while constantly without.
ReplyDeleteNow and Then!
ReplyDelete