It all began with a dating survey on campus. I don’t know why I filled it out, but I
did. I saw the results. And, oh dear, they were less than
satisfactory. I threw it away never to
think of it again.
In the meantime, during a lecture on William Tyndale, there sat
a young fellow named Brent across the classroom with the results in hand and
eyes on me.
There is a natural
detector built into every woman. There is
no other detector in the world as effective as the woman’s. It sends blaring, flashing internal signals
whenever a boy is staring at the back of her head. She can sense instantly whenever the opposite
sex is on the prowl and she just came into his view. It’s miraculous. And with this miraculous, innate detector, I
felt Brent staring right at me. Shivers
instantly shot down my spine. Flight
instinctively took over and I spent the next several weeks actively avoiding
him in the classroom and in the cafeteria.
I became an expert evader. Every
time I walked into class, shields went up and I watched Brent with my
hawk-eyes. Every time I sat down for a
meal in the cafeteria, I watched him and efficaciously hid from his searching view. I was spectacular.
I must have been tired that day because my guard was
down. He came out of nowhere. I didn’t even sense him nearby. I was piling my plate high with a chickpea
salad and as I quickly turned to my right, he was right there, gawking directly
at my face. He was within kissing
distance. Oh creeeeepy.
“Jana, will you go out with me Friday?”
Completely shocked and off balance, I reverted to my
predetermined, standard first- date answer and said, “Yes…uh….yeah…uh. Ok.”
Did I seriously just say YES? Too late.
I couldn’t take it back now. I had
another idea instead.
“I’m actually busy Friday night,” I said hoping I’d be busy,
but not actually sure.
“Oh that’s ok. I have
to work Friday night anyway. I was
thinking we could go for a late lunch before I work.”
Darn it.
“Ok. That works for
me.” Argh.
“I’ll pick you up at two o’clock,” and Brent took off just
as quickly as he appeared.
I stood there stunned at myself for actually saying
yes. I always say yes to a first date, but
I already knew of this guy and I already knew that we were completely and 100%
incompatible. He was strange, nerdy, and
a recluse. He pretended to play drums in
class all the time. Yikes. I should have said no. He probably would appreciate me more for
saying no instead of saying yes and having a miserable time. Lucky for me though, I did end up getting
asked out for a date Friday night by a guy I liked, so I had a substantial
excuse for hurrying my date with Brent along.
Friday arrived and my excitement for date #2 filled me, but
was quickly overcome by a nervous unsettling in my stomach for my first date of
the evening with Brent.
Brent picked me up promptly at 2 o’ clock and off we went in
his blue Toyota up into the mountains.
We drove for what seemed like FOREVER.
After about 15 minutes in the car, I had no idea where we were. I started getting a little scared. After another 15, he pulled off onto the side
of the road and towards some trees. I
sat nervously in the car. What the heck
was going on? I was in the middle of the
woods in a parked car with a next to complete stranger. I had no idea what was happening. I didn’t have a cell phone on me and I was
nervous. This just wasn’t normal for
me! I prepared myself to take defense if
needed, and slowly got out of the car as well.
Brent opened the trunk of his car and pulled out two greasy Carl’s
Jr. Bags with those sickening yellow smiley stars printed on. Uhhh…Carl’s Jr. for lunch? He handed the bags to me and pulled out a guitar,
laptop, and a blanket and took off into the trees. I followed cautiously behind and stepped
lightly. I prepared myself to run out of
there if needed. I honestly was scared! Ha….I’m
overly dramatic sometimes, I suppose.
But I think you’d be scared, too!
I’ll just tell you now—nothing bad happened. Brent was just weird.
We stopped near the bank of a slow river and Brent laid out
the blanket and took the Carl’s Jr. bags from me and dumped them across our
makeshift table. I sat down and tucked
my feet under my legs Indian style.
Lunch looked…interesting. In
front of me he presented our delectable meal:
ham and cheese sandwiches (the bread bag said the bread had expired two
weeks prior), a half-eaten bag of potato chips, mustard and ketchup packets
from Carl’s Jr., a jar of peanut butter with the label ripped off, and an old
root beer bottle filled with red Kool-Aid.
He assembled my ham and cheddar cheese sandwich for me and poured out
chips for me on the blanket. I picked up
the sandwich suspiciously and nervously began to eat as he talked…and talked…and
talked. I don’t remember about
what. I just remember that he talked…A
LOT. I began to realize that things
weren’t so bad and started to count down the time till we could leave. I figured in my mind that we would eat our
sandwiches, drink some Kool-Aid (maybe) and then
leave. But then I remembered the guitar and
laptop. What did he have planned?!
I found out soon enough!
I finished my stale breaded sandwich. Brent offered me another and I attempted to
graciously turn it down. Without
warning, he then whipped out his guitar and said to me,
“I would now like to sing to you a few songs that I’ve
written.”
I suppose he heard somewhere that girls liked to be swooned on
the guitar at a picnic near a river.
That certainly does seem idyllic, doesn’t it? Well…this was hardly ideal….Brent
began his song and it went something like this:
It was loud and the chords were clumsy. And the lyrics consisted of phrases about
alcohol, but how Mormons don’t drink alcohol, instead they drink Kool-Aid.
And Mormon’s can’t go a day without their Kool-Aid.
And Mormon’s LOVE Kool-Aid.
It’s like RUM. And the chorus was
this:
“And I love…my….MORMOOOOOOON RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm. Oh YES! MORMOOOOOOOOOOON RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM!!!!!!!”
Repeated…several times.
I just sat there.
That was all I could do. I’m sure
I stared…pretty horribly. I had no
words. He just kept screaming over and
over like a heavy metal rocker about how much he LOVES Mormon Rum! Heaven help me. I endured.
And he kept singing…and singing. Finally after an hour, he stopped. I was saved! But wait….I knew it wasn’t over
because there was still a laptop. And as
soon as he put away the guitar, he pulled out the laptop.
“I’ve been taking a Flash class this semester. Wanna see what I’ve been working on?”
“Uuuuuh. Yeah.”
And for the next hour I watched animations of stick figures
blowing each other up in mutiny and turning into spaghetti noodles spraying all
across the sky. It was incredibly
disturbing. After animation number 3, I
tuned it all out and all I could think about was getting out of this horrible
place and spending the rest of the evening with my other date.
Finally, he asked me if I wanted to see more and I took this
as an opportunity to say, “No. I
actually have to get back now.” He hung
his head sadly and packed everything up.
We got back into his car and drove back to my apartment. The minutes dragged on…I wanted so badly to
get out! Finally, we arrived. He didn’t open the door. I took the opportunity
to let myself out. He jumped out of the
car after me and he tried to hug me…but I wasn’t going to have any of that…so,
you know what I did?! Hahahaha…..I still
laugh…I gave him a HIGH FIVE. HAHA! Oh
dear me….yes I did.
Brent then informed me that he didn’t have to work anymore
and wanted to know if I wanted to go with him to the dance that night. I said, “NO.
I’m busy, “ and then left as quickly as I could. I could hardly breathe when I finally reached
my apartment. I ran as fast I could to
get away. I didn’t want to give him any
opportunities to catch up to me, because I totally saw that as a
possibility. I changed and dressed
myself up for the dance and spent the whole evening having a great time with my
date #2. Brent was at the dance….and
luckily, I had my detectors on and ready.
I successfully hid from him the entire night and danced my cares
away.
Even though the night ended nicely, my date with Brent has
successfully gone down in history as my WORST DATE EVER. Oh well.
Ahhh... I remember that song. You're an angel for saying yes to him and going through with it--I always felt bad for him in the "please don't ask me out!" kind of way. He was a nice guy. And now you have a great story. :-)
ReplyDelete